- 2.5 litres of water
- 65g onion, peeled and roughly chopped
- 65g leek, white part only, peeled and roughly chopped
- 65g carrot, peeled and roughly chopped
- 65g fresh celery, roughly chopped
- 4-5 parsley stems, leaves removed
- 6 whole peppercorns
- Onions Imperial
- Onions Cups
Tools of the Trade
- A good stockpot
- A skimmer to remove any inpurities
- Step 1 Place the 2.5 litres of fresh cold water into a stockpot. Add the vegetables to the water along with the parsley stems and peppercorns. Place over a medium-high heat and slowly bring to a boil. Have a skimmer handy as more and more impurities will float to the surface as the water reaches boiling point. Just before the water reaches boiling point, lower the heat and simmer the stock for 30-40 minutes. Strain the stock, then place in a bowl of cold water to cool quickly.
For a really colourless stock substitute parsnip for carrot.